- He connected personally with staff by talking about his earlier career in the company
- Acknowledged how their work is making a difference
- Summarised the market context and upcoming challenges facing the company
- Talked about the role of innovation in addressing the business challenges
- Clarified the company’s definition of innovation, using jargon-free language
- Recognised the vast range of skills residing within the business to drive innovation forward and in doing so, he gave them confidence in their abilities
- Challenged staff to innovate in specific areas, both inside their business unit and through collaboration with other parts of the organisation
- Offered his support
- Last but not least, he showed a sense of humour
In true leadership style, he inspired his staff within five minutes. There wasn't a PowerPoint slide in sight. Not one word of management jargon was spoken. Impressive!
How do business leaders in your organisation demystify innovation?
Thanks for reading this article.
Director of 3inno