Unfortunately, it’s not uncommon to see a great idea ruined by a poor pitch. We’ve all seen it happen at one point in our careers. What can be done to prevent this from happening? Having advised companies on the setup of many Dragons’ Den events, I’ve identified seven components that provide the foundation for a great pitch, here they are:
- If you’re not convinced, your audience probably won’t be either
- Make the presentation engaging through the use of prototypes, mock-ups, role play, etc
- Clarify the benefits, especially the financial impact
- Be on top of the financials!
- Tell the Dragons why your idea is the best and why they should invest in you – prove that you are a credible team with a track record of delivering similar projects
- Listen very carefully to the questions asked by the Dragons
- Emotional impressions are as important as analysis
Finally, in the words of Steve Martin: "Be so good they can't ignore you".
For more innovation tips, please visit: http://www.3inno.com/our-articles
Director of 3inno