One of our previous blogs covered the 10 factors to consider when setting up a business growth program. From this list, the Scoping phase plays a vital role as it directly impacts the project’s success. Although it is the shortest phase, it’s where mistakes are most often made.
Either it gets rushed, the wrong people are involved, the wrong questions are asked or key assumptions about the business are missed. Consequently, I have come to rely on a specific set of questions when scoping new projects. They bring me 80% towards the finish line in terms of obtaining enough information to allow the project to be designed and planned. The remaining 20% come from focussed discussions with stakeholders.
Answering the questions only takes an hour or two, however, it’s not about rushing to get to the right answer. I’ve learnt that it’s the time lag between asking questions and drawing conclusions that is important. Depending on the complexity of the project, I allow a time lapse of 2-3 weeks for reflection and discussion with the project leader and project sponsor before I’m confident we have a clear scope and we’re all on the same boat. During this time it’s not uncommon for new thoughts and options to come on the table.
The questions are listed below for a B2B project - I hope the are useful...