Here is the 10-step approach I suggested during the 30-minute call. I hope you find it useful.
- Clarify the business rationale for wanting to improve the buying experience. For example, is it to acquire more customers, improve retention rates, sell more to customers, etc.? This will focus your efforts on which specific parts of the buying experience to improve
- Define the buying experience as it is today. Be clear on who the buyers, users and decision makers are. If you also sell through different channels, include this too.
- Conduct surveys, calls and face2face meetings with customers to (1) sense check the ‘as is’ buying experience and (2), to capture customers' needs (rational and emotional), their frustrations and improvement ideas. Make sure you talk to the right people and ask the right questions!
- Find examples of best-in-class buying experiences in your market and other markets (B2B and B2C). Use this as a baseline for what ‘good looks like’ and as a creative stimulus in an ideas workshop – see step 6 below
- Collate all information
- Run creative workshops to come up with ideas for the new and improved buying experience. Invite the right mix of people including staff who will be involved in implementing the changes.
- Prioritise the improvements based on business impact and feasibility
- Visualise the new buying experience and sense check it with customers. Iterate it based on their feedback
- Implement the improved version of the buying experience
- Enjoy the business benefits
Remember, revenue only comes from one place - the customer. Never stop putting yourself in your customers' shoes.
What can you do to improve the buying experience for your customers?
If you need any help with this sort of a project or any other innovation and business growth activity, get in contact on Hello@3inno.com
If you enjoyed reading this article, I’d be grateful if you took a moment to share your comments on social media.
For more tips on how to innovate successfully, please visit: http://www.3inno.com/our-articles
Innovation Unplugged can help you innovate and grow your business. It is the best short business book for busy managers. It can be read in 30 minutes. Available from all eBook retailers.
Head of Innovation
You can also find us on Facebook www.facebook.com/3inno/